Monday, June 2, 2014

Quiche Anyone?

Do you like quiche?
I love it!
My Mom and I would always choose quiche if it
was on the menu!
Whenever I make it, I think of her and wish she
was here to enjoy it with me.

I modified this Paula Deen recipe and I believe that
even Paula (yes, we are on a first-name basis) would agree
that mine is now better than hers!  And mine is less fattening too.  

(Photo courtesy of world wide web, but  mine looks exactly like this)
So, I thought you might like it too.
I call it Southwestern Spinach & Ham Quiche.
Paula calls hers something else totally boring.

Here's my recipe!
3 large eggs + 3/4 cup of Egg Beaters-Southwestern Style;
3/4 cup of half and half + 3/4 cup of skim milk;
Salt and pepper (a dash of each);
1 to 1-1/2 cups of chopped baby spinach (I use fresh, but frozen probably
works too);
A generous amount of honey ham or cooked bacon (whatever you prefer) crumbled;
1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese;
1 deep-dish (my preference) pie crust;
(You can make your own pie crust, but the frozen ones are delish, so seriously,
why would you?)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Chop up the spinach and crumble the ham or bacon.  Set aside.
Use a hand-mixer to mix the eggs, Egg-Beaters, salt, pepper, milk and half and half in a bowl.
Mix well - make it fluffy!
Layer the spinach, ham and Swiss cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then
pour the egg mixture on top.  If it doesn't seem full enough, beat another egg or add
a little more Egg-beaters.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until set.
Best to let it cool for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
(The Southwestern Egg-Beaters give it a little kick!)
Even Maddy likes it!

If you have any leftovers (doubtful), refrigerate and
have later or the next day.
Mr. Tennis says it's yummy cold, but you can also zap it in the microwave.
Serve with a salad (not at breakfast please),
 toast or blueberry muffins!
It's really good with a little Mimosa
 (what isn't good with Mimosa?)

Photo courtesy of the world wide web
Enjoy the quiche --  hope you love it!
And, you're welcome!  :)


3 comments:

Tutus and Choo-Choos said...

I am going to have to definitely try this recipe. I'm not sure I have ever fed my family quiche, but they do eat breakfast casseroles. Looks like a great recipe!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm definitely making this for dinner this week. I love quiche. I'm going to try and get the girls to try it too. Thanks for sharing!!

Jodee said...

I love, love, love quiche (unless it's from Relish)! HA HA! Thanks for the recipe! I must try it some time soon!